Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Bamboo Wattle



This is the wattle border for the rhubarb patch.



The wattle fence has two walls - the rhubarb is bordered by the house and a rock wall on the other two sides. I used thick bamboo canes for the stakes - my husband helped me cut them on his miter saw so they have one blunt end and one pointed end to drive into the ground. Our bamboo for weaving had obvious thick and thin ends, so when weaving the fence we alternated the direction of the canes so the fence would stay fairly level. Once we were finished weaving, we cut the ends to neaten them up. I was planning to lash the joints, but I'm going to see how this stands up as it dries out and sets up. This was a fun project!

3 comments:

  1. That looks great! I made a few wattle fences after your post-Williamsburg visit here, but they never looked so tidy. Maybe I will try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The straight lines of bamboo help it look neat without much effort. Saplings that seem straight at first usually have bumps and curves once you start trying to weave them - but that is part of the charm!

      Delete