Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Last Word on Rhubarb, for Now

Today I went out to harvest our first rhubarb this year to make Banana Rhubarb Cobbler. Two of the older plants were already making flowers so I removed them, as I read you should do, in order to allow the plant to focus its energy on making more edible stalks.



I was able to harvest enough for the cobbler and it was delicious - thanks to my sister HG for the recipe.

Rhubarb and Banana Cobbler

Vegetable oil for pan
4-6 stalks fresh rhubarb, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch thick slices (~4 cups)
2 medium bananas, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 and 1/2 cups rolled (not quick cooking) oatmeal
1/4 cup grapeseed or canola oil
1/4 cup soy milk (may substitute low-fat milk)
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon honey

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil one 8-9 inch baking dish or 6 individual baking dishes with 1.5 cup capacity.

In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb and banana slices with the sugar and toss to combine. Spread in the prepared baking dish(es).



In a bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the oatmeal, oil, milk, salt, baking powder, sugar, and honey for 1 minute. Spread the oatmeal topping over the fruit.



Bake until the topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.

*Meant to have a photo of finished product but got distracted by the instructions to eat it hot :)

Note from HG: I always use canola oil and low fat milk.

Note from YG: I only had olive oil or coconut on hand, so I used coconut; also, I had lots of oatmeal on hand, but my choices were instant, steel cut and quick cooking. I chose the latter and it was still delicious. One more thing, I used an 8" square aluminum pan and baked it about 35 minutes. And, after re-reading the recipe, I realize I sliced my rhubarb way too thick - still delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe "you can never go wrong with rhubarb" should enter the lexicon on the same page as "you can never have too many bears."

    ReplyDelete