Monday, March 11, 2013

Welcome Rhubarb




This is what rhubarb looks like when it emerges in the spring - like little baby cabbages pushing through the earth. I cleared out the bed and this is the one rhubarb coming back where there should be four - I hope the others will be along shortly. I had always heard that rhubarb doesn't like the southern heat, but the farmer who I got my plants from said if you plant them where they get 6-8 hours of morning sun, then afternoon shade, they can do well. I need to give them more attention this year.

What a treat rhubarb is! Of course we love strawberry-rhubarb pie, and last year I found a recipe on Martha Stewart's website for Rhubarb Buckle. It has a bar cookie/cake texture and is so good.

4 comments:

  1. They're so cute. Are they in the same bed as the blueberry bushes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they are right behind the house under the living room windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But speaking of blueberries, my gardening guru, Dr. Francis Gouin, says to prune blueberries severely before April if you want big fat juicy berries. Of course, he's not gardening in your neck of the woods, but it might be a timely yardening task.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I definitely want big fat juicy berries! I haven't pruned them ever, but I might have to be brave.

    ReplyDelete